Academic Community Transitions
FUHSD has designed specialized programming to meet the unique needs of students with various disabilities. The Academic Community Transitions (ACT) Program offers a standards based academic program that builds individual skills with a real world application of concepts. Fremont High School offer two ACT classes, taught by Nancy Patterson (ACT2) and Sunny McCain (ACT1).
Program supports include:
- Communication and social skills instruction: expressive and receptive language support, self-advocacy, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Mainstream opportunities within appropriate general and special education courses. Support for interaction with typical peers.
- Community based instruction: transit training, access to the community to enhance life and daily living skills, positive behavior supports and safety.
- Vocational/career: transition support to adult life, volunteer and work based learning experiences, vocational skill development within on and off campus job opportunities, career counseling.
- Human growth and development: family life, relationship skills, and health and nutrition.
- Leisure/recreation: Physical education, social interaction with other programs within Santa Clara County, and community supports for life long recreation options.